Welcome to this delicious article where you will learn how to make the best French toast ever! Whether you are preparing it for breakfast, brunch, or just a sweet snack, French toast is always a great choice. It’s a classic dish that is simple to make yet has the potential to impress anyone you serve it to. So, let’s jump right into the recipe.
Steps how to make the best French toast
Step 1 – Gather ingredients
First things first, let’s make sure we have all the necessary ingredients before starting. This recipe requires:
- 4-5 slices of bread (depending on their size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of butter
Once you have everything, let’s move on to the next step.
Step 2 – Mix the ingredients
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until combined. Make sure to whisk everything together well, so all the flavors are evenly distributed. Once the mixture is ready, let’s move on to the next step.
Step 3 – Soak the bread slices
Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides evenly. Let the bread soak for about 30 seconds on each side, or until it becomes fully saturated with the egg mixture. Once the bread slices are soaked, let’s move on to the next step.
Step 4 – Heat the skillet
Place a skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Wait for the butter to melt and coat the skillet evenly. It’s essential to heat the skillet first before adding the soaked bread slices to ensure they cook evenly.
Step 5 – Cook the bread slices
Place the soaked bread slices in the skillet (as many as can fit at once without crowding the skillet) and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. If you notice the butter is getting too brown, reduce the heat to medium-low. Once the bread slices are cooked, let’s move on to the next step.
Step 6 – Keep the French toast warm
You can keep the French toast warm by placing it on a baking sheet and keeping it in the oven at low heat (around 200°F or 90°C) while you cook the rest of the slices. This step ensures that all slices will be served hot and fresh at the same time.
Step 7 – Serve and enjoy!
Once all the slices are cooked, it’s time to serve your delicious French toast! You can add maple syrup, powdered sugar, fresh fruit, whipped cream, or any other toppings you like. Serve it hot and enjoy the delicious taste and aroma of your homemade French toast.
Explanation how to make the best French toast
Now that you know the twelve steps to make the best French toast ever let’s discuss some explanations behind each step.
Why use stale bread?
Stale bread works better than fresh bread when making French toast because it absorbs the egg mixture more efficiently. If you use fresh bread, it can become soggy and fall apart. Stale bread also gives the French toast a firmer texture, making it more resistant to falling apart while cooking.
Why mix the ingredients before soaking the bread?
Mixing the ingredients beforehand ensures that all the flavors are evenly distributed. You want each slice to have the same amount of egg mixture to get a consistent taste and texture throughout the dish.
Why soak the bread slices before cooking?
Soaking the bread slices ensures they become fully saturated with the egg mixture. If the bread only absorbs a small amount of the mixture, the resulting French toast will be dry and lack flavor. Soaking also allows the flavors to penetrate the bread and gives it a soft and tender texture.
Why heat the skillet before adding the bread slices?
The skillet needs to be hot before adding the soaked bread slices to ensure they cook evenly and don’t stick to the bottom. Adding bread to a cold skillet can result in uneven cooking, burnt bread, or soggy slices.
Tips and Tricks how to make the best French toast
Tip 1 – Use good-quality bread
The bread you use is a crucial ingredient in making the best French toast. Choose dense and hearty bread, such as brioche, challah bread, or sourdough. These types of bread are perfect for French toast because they can absorb the egg mixture without becoming too soggy.
Tip 2 – Add flavor with spices
Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves can add a delicious and aromatic flavor to your French toast. Experiment with different spices and combinations to find a flavor that you love.
Tip 3 – Don’t overcrowd the skillet
Overcrowding the skillet can result in uneven cooking and burnt bread. Cook your French toast in batches of two or three slices, depending on the size of the skillet.
Tip 4 – Use a non-stick skillet or griddle
Using a non-stick skillet or griddle can make the cooking process easier and prevent the French toast from sticking to the bottom. If you don’t have a non-stick skillet, make sure to coat the skillet with butter or cooking spray.
Tip 5 – Shake off excess egg mixture
Before adding the soaked bread slices to the skillet, shake off any excess egg mixture. This step ensures that the French toast doesn’t become overly soggy and retains its shape while cooking.
Tip 6 – Use real maple syrup
Real maple syrup is a delicious topping that can enhance the flavor of your French toast. Avoid using corn syrup or other artificial syrups, which can be too sweet and lack flavor.
Tip 7 – Serve with fresh fruit
Adding fresh fruit like berries, bananas, or sliced apples can add a refreshing and healthy element to your French toast. It can also balance out the sweetness and richness of the dish.
Tip 8 – Add a splash of orange juice
Adding a small amount of orange juice to the egg mixture can add a tangy and citrusy flavor to your French toast. Be careful not to add too much as it can overpower the other flavors.
Tip 9 – Don’t skimp on the butter
Butter adds richness and flavor to French toast. Don’t skimp on the butter, use enough to coat the skillet and the bread slices evenly.
Tip 10 – Get creative with toppings
There are many toppings you can add to your French toast to enhance its flavor or create a unique experience. Some toppings to try include whipped cream, caramel sauce, honey, jam, or chopped nuts.
And that’s it! Follow these steps and tips, and you’ll create the best French toast you’ve ever tasted. Good luck, and bon appetit!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Making the Best French Toast
1. Simple Recipe: Making French toast is an easy and simple recipe even for those who are not good at cooking. All you need is bread, eggs, milk, and some toppings of your choice.
2. Customizable: French toast is highly customizable, and you can make variations of it depending on your taste. You can add various kinds of toppings, from sweet to savory, and create your own unique recipe.
3. Delicious: French toast is a delicious breakfast that can satisfy your hunger and craving for something sweet. The combination of egg, milk, and bread creates a perfect balance of flavors that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
4. Comfort Food: French toast is a comfort food that can make you feel warm and cozy, especially on cold winter mornings. It is also perfect for lazy weekend mornings where you just want to relax and enjoy a delicious breakfast in bed.
5. Healthy: French toast can be a healthy breakfast option if you use whole-grain bread and egg whites. You can also add fruit toppings like berries and bananas to make it even more nutritious.
6. Budget-Friendly: French toast is a budget-friendly breakfast option as it requires only a few basic ingredients, and you can make it with any type of bread you have on hand.
7. Great for Leftovers: French toast is a great way to use up any leftover bread you have in your kitchen, and you can make it in large batches to have breakfast for the entire week.
8. Perfect for Entertaining: French toast is a perfect breakfast dish to serve when you have guests over. You can make it in advance and keep it warm in the oven, and your guests will love the aroma and taste of freshly made French toast.
9. Kid-Friendly: French toast is a kid-friendly breakfast option that can make your kids excited to wake up in the morning. You can let them help you make it and have fun adding their own toppings.
10. Can be Made Ahead: French toast can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for later use. This is perfect for busy mornings when you don’t have time to make breakfast from scratch.
1. High in Calories: French toast can be high in calories if you use white bread, whole eggs, and lots of butter and syrup as toppings.
2. Time-Consuming: Making French toast can be time-consuming, especially if you are making it from scratch. You need to dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture and cook it on a skillet or griddle.
3. Messy: Making French toast can be messy, especially if you have kids helping you. The egg mixture can drip and spill, and the bread can break apart while dipping it.
4. Can be Unhealthy: French toast can be unhealthy if you use white bread, whole eggs, and lots of butter and syrup as toppings. It can also be high in sodium if you use processed bread or pre-made mixes.
5. Limited Shelf Life: French toast has a limited shelf life, and it is best eaten fresh. It can become soggy and lose its texture if you store it for too long.
6. Requires Special Equipment: Making French toast requires special equipment like a skillet or griddle, which not everyone may have in their kitchen.
7. Not Suitable for Certain Diets: French toast is not suitable for certain diets like gluten-free, vegan, or paleo, unless you make special modifications to the recipe.
8. Not Portable: French toast is not a portable breakfast option as it can be messy to eat and requires a plate and utensils.
9. Can be Boring: French toast can be boring if you always make it the same way. You need to be creative and try new toppings and variations to keep it interesting.
10. Not a Complete Meal: French toast is not a complete meal and lacks nutrients like protein and fiber. You need to pair it with other healthy foods like fruit, nuts, or yogurt to make it a well-balanced meal.
1. What is French toast?
French toast is a breakfast dish made of bread that’s been soaked in a mixture of eggs, milk, and sugar, then cooked until golden brown. It’s crispy on the outside and soft and eggy on the inside.
2. Can I use any type of bread?
While traditional recipes call for thick slices of brioche, challah, or sourdough bread, you can use any bread you have on hand. Just make sure it’s not overly soft or stale.
3. How many eggs should I use for French toast?
As a general rule, use one egg for every two slices of bread. If you want a richer custard, you can use more egg yolks or add a splash of heavy cream.
4. Can I make French toast the night before?
You can prepare the egg mixture and soak the bread the night before, but it’s best to cook the French toast when you’re ready to eat. Otherwise, the bread can become soggy.
5. How do I know when the toast is cooked?
The French toast is cooked when it’s golden brown and crisp on the outside and cooked through on the inside. You can make a small incision in the centre of the toast to check if it’s cooked through.
6. What toppings should I use?
You can use a variety of toppings like butter, maple syrup, whipped cream, powdered sugar, fresh fruit or caramel syrup. Whatever you choose, make sure it’s something that you enjoy.
7. Can I make French toast for a large crowd?
Yes, you can. After cooking each batch, you can keep the French toast warm in an oven heated to 200°F (93°C) until you’re ready to serve. Alternatively, cook the French toast on a griddle or a non-stick pan that’s large enough to hold several pieces at once.
8. Can I freeze French toast?
You can freeze cooked French toast in a single layer on a baking sheet, then transfer it to an airtight container or a ziplock bag. Reheat it in a oven, a microwave or a toaster oven.
9. How do I prevent the toast from sticking?
To prevent the bread from sticking to the pan, you can use non-stick spray, butter, or oil. Make sure your pan is heated to the right temperature before adding the bread.
10. Can I make French toast without eggs?
Yes, you can use a vegan egg substitute or simply soak the bread in milk and cinnamon instead of eggs. However, the texture will be slightly different than traditional French toast.
11. How long does it take to make French toast?
It takes roughly 20-30 minutes to prepare and cook French toast, depending on how many servings you’re making and your cooking method.
12. Can I use a different milk instead of whole milk?
Yes, you can use any type of milk, such as almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. However, using whole milk will give you a creamier, richer custard.
13. How can I make my French toast crispy?
To get crispy French toast, be sure to cook it on a medium-high heat until it’s golden brown. You can also add a little cornstarch to the egg mixture, which will give it a crispier texture.
French toast is a classic breakfast dish that everyone loves. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your liking. Whether you prefer it sweet or savory, with fruit or with bacon, the key to making the best French toast lies in the preparation. Here’s how to make the best French toast that will have everyone asking for seconds.
Firstly, you’ll need to gather your ingredients. For the basic French toast recipe, you’ll need eggs, milk, vanilla extract, salt, bread, and butter. If you want to get fancy, you can add cinnamon, nutmeg, or even some orange zest to the egg mixture. The type of bread you use is also important. Brioche or challah are great choices because they have a dense texture that will hold up well when soaked in the egg mixture.
Next, beat the eggs in a shallow container. Add the milk, vanilla extract, salt, and any other desired ingredients, and whisk the mixture until evenly combined. Slice the bread into 1-inch thick slices. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Be sure not to let the bread soak for too long, as it will become soggy.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add butter and let it melt. Place the bread slices on the skillet and cook until golden brown, flipping once to cook both sides evenly. Serve the French toast hot, topped with powdered sugar, maple syrup, fruit, or any other toppings of your choice.
Conclusion how to make the best french toast
Following these simple steps will ensure that you make the best French toast you’ve ever had. The key is to use high-quality ingredients, such as fresh eggs and good quality bread. Be sure to customize the recipe to your liking and experiment with different flavors and toppings. With a little bit of practice, you’ll be able to whip up delicious French toast every time.
Closing how to make the best french toast
Thank you for reading our article on how to make the best French toast. We hope that you found this guide helpful and that you will try this recipe in your own kitchen. Let us know in the comments if you have any other French toast tips or if you try any of our suggestions. Until next time, happy cooking!