Welcome to our article on how to make homemade tomato soup! If you love tomato soup, then you’ll be happy to know that making it from scratch is actually quite easy. Not only does homemade tomato soup taste better than the canned variety, but you’ll also know exactly what’s in it.
In this article, we’ll take you through 12 simple steps to make homemade tomato soup, as well as providing you with an explanation of each step and some useful tips and tricks. So, grab your apron and let’s get started!
Steps how to make homemade tomato soup
Step 1: Gather your ingredients
Before you begin, make sure you have all the ingredients you need. For this recipe, you’ll need:
– 2 pounds of ripe tomatoes
– 1 onion
– 3 garlic cloves
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
– 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Optional: fresh basil or parsley for garnish
Step 2: Wash and chop the tomatoes
Wash the tomatoes and chop them into quarters. If you prefer a smoother soup, you can peel the tomatoes before chopping.
Step 3: Chop the onion and garlic
Chop the onion and garlic cloves into small pieces.
Step 4: Sauté the onion and garlic
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until they are soft and fragrant.
Step 5: Add the chopped tomatoes
Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot with the onion and garlic. Stir everything together and let it cook for a few minutes.
Step 6: Add the broth and tomato paste
Pour the broth into the pot with the tomato mixture. Add the tomato paste and stir everything together.
Step 7: Simmer the soup
Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for around 30 minutes.
Step 8: Blend the soup
Once the soup has simmered for 30 minutes, let it cool slightly. Then, use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender in batches and blend until it is smooth.
Step 9: Season with salt and pepper
Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Step 10: Garnish with fresh herbs (optional)
If desired, sprinkle some fresh basil or parsley on top of the soup before serving for added flavor.
Step 11: Serve and enjoy!
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot.
Step 12: Refrigerate or freeze leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Explanation how to make homemade tomato soup
Now that we’ve gone through the steps, let’s discuss some details about making homemade tomato soup.
The key to making a great tomato soup is using ripe tomatoes. If your tomatoes are not quite ripe, you can place them in a paper bag with an apple or banana to speed up the ripening process.
Sautéing the onion and garlic before adding the tomatoes helps to bring out their flavors and aromas. The addition of the tomato paste gives the soup a richer, deeper tomato flavor.
Simmering the soup for around 30 minutes allows all the flavors to meld together. Blending the soup is important for achieving a smooth, creamy texture.
If you prefer a creamier soup, you can add a splash of heavy cream or half-and-half before blending. However, this is entirely optional and the soup is delicious without it.
Tips and Tricks how to make homemade tomato soup
1. Use good quality tomatoes for the best flavor.
2. If you prefer a bit of texture in the soup, you can leave some of the tomato pieces unblended.
3. Use an immersion blender if you have one for easier blending and less mess.
4. Be careful when blending hot liquids, as they can splatter. Let the soup cool slightly before blending and blend in batches if necessary.
5. If you don’t have fresh herbs for garnish, you can sprinkle some dried herbs on top instead.
6. Add some diced vegetables such as carrots, celery, or bell peppers for additional flavor and nutrition.
7. If you like a bit of spice, add some red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the soup.
8. Serve the soup with some crusty bread or croutons for a satisfying meal.
9. Use leftover tomato soup as a base for other recipes such as pasta sauce or chili.
10. Experiment with different herbs and spices such as thyme, oregano, or cumin to change up the flavor of the soup.
And there you have it – a delicious, homemade tomato soup that’s easy to make and full of flavor. We hope you enjoy making and eating this soup as much as we do!
Advantages and Disadvantages
Tomato soup is a comforting and delicious dish that can be enjoyed by many. Making your own homemade tomato soup can be a fun and fulfilling experience, but like any other activity, it has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
1. Homemade tomato soup can be customized to your liking. You can add seasonings and ingredients that suit your taste.
2. Making your own tomato soup at home is often cheaper than buying pre-made soup from the store.
3. Homemade soup is healthier since you have control over the type and amount of ingredients you use.
4. Cooking your own soup can be a therapeutic and relaxing experience.
5. You can avoid added preservatives and other unhealthy additives when you make your own soup.
6. Homemade soup can be frozen and stored for later use, making meal planning easier.
7. Making your own soup can be a great way to bond with friends and family by involving them in the preparation process.
8. Homemade soup can be an impressive and comforting meal to serve when entertaining guests.
9. You can make a large batch of soup and save time by having leftovers for the next few days.
10. Making your own soup can give you a sense of accomplishment and pride in your cooking skills.
1. Making homemade soup can be time-consuming, especially if you are a beginner.
2. Homemade soup requires a significant amount of preparation, such as chopping vegetables and simmering ingredients.
3. The cost of ingredients can add up, especially if you opt for high-quality and organic ingredients.
4. Making your own soup can be messy, and you may need to clean multiple pots and utensils.
5. The taste and consistency of your soup may not turn out as expected.
6. Homemade soup may require the use of special equipment that you may not already have, such as an immersion blender.
7. Cooking your own soup can be a source of stress if you are trying to prepare it for a large group of people.
8. If you do not store your soup properly, it can spoil quickly, leading to food waste.
9. The aroma of cooking soup can linger in your home for hours, which may not be desirable for some.
10. Homemade soup may not be as convenient as pre-made soup, especially if you have a busy schedule.
In conclusion, making your own homemade tomato soup has both advantages and disadvantages. Ultimately, the decision to make your own soup or purchase pre-made soup will depend on your individual preferences and circumstances. Regardless of which option you choose, enjoying a warm bowl of tomato soup is a comforting and delicious experience.
1. What ingredients do I need to make homemade tomato soup?
To make homemade tomato soup, you’ll need fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, vegetable stock, olive oil, salt, pepper, and a sweetener of your choice (optional).
2. Can I use canned tomatoes instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use canned tomatoes instead of fresh. Just make sure to drain any excess liquid from the can before using them.
3. How do I make the tomato soup smooth?
You can blend the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender until it’s smooth.
4. What’s the difference between vegetable stock and vegetable broth?
Vegetable stock is made from simmering vegetables, while vegetable broth may contain meat or other sources of flavor.
5. Can I add cream to my tomato soup?
Yes, you can add cream to your tomato soup to make it creamier. It’s best to do this after the soup is blended.
6. How long can I keep homemade tomato soup in the fridge?
You can keep homemade tomato soup in the fridge for up to four days.
7. Can I freeze homemade tomato soup?
Yes, you can freeze homemade tomato soup for up to three months.
8. How do I reheat frozen tomato soup?
You can reheat frozen tomato soup on the stove over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it’s heated through.
9. How can I make my tomato soup spicier?
You can add red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or diced jalapeno peppers to make your soup spicier.
10. Can I use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock?
Yes, you can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock if you prefer.
11. How can I make the tomato soup less acidic?
You can add a sweetener of your choice, such as sugar or honey, to balance out the acidity.
12. Can I add other vegetables to my tomato soup?
Yes, you can add other vegetables such as carrots, celery, or bell peppers to your tomato soup to make it heartier.
13. Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use dried herbs instead of fresh. Just use about half the amount called for in the recipe.
Tomato soup is a classic comfort dish that is enjoyed by many. While it may seem intimidating to make it from scratch, it’s actually quite simple and can be made with just a few ingredients. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps on how to make homemade tomato soup that is not only delicious but also healthy.
Conclusion how to make homemade tomato soup
Making homemade tomato soup starts with using fresh, ripe tomatoes. You can use any type of tomato, but roma and san marzano tomatoes are ideal as they have a thicker flesh and less water content. Begin by washing and slicing the tomatoes in half, then place them in a large pot with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook the tomatoes until they soften and release their juices.
Next, you’ll want to add some aromatics to the pot. This can include diced onions, garlic, and herbs such as basil or oregano. Cook the aromatics until they become fragrant, then pour in some vegetable or chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
Once the soup has simmered, you can puree it using an immersion blender or transfer it to a blender in batches. Be sure to let the soup cool slightly before blending to prevent any accidents.
Finally, you’ll want to add some additional seasoning to taste. This can include more salt, pepper, or even a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. Serve the soup with some crusty bread or croutons and enjoy!
Closing how to make homemade tomato soup
In conclusion, making homemade tomato soup is easy and can be done with just a few ingredients. By using fresh, ripe tomatoes and some aromatics, you can create a healthy and delicious meal that is perfect for any occasion. So next time you’re looking for a cozy comfort dish, give homemade tomato soup a try.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!